Friday, May 25, 2012

Walk THIS Way, John Waters

An open letter to JOHN WATERS :

I have been hitchhiking for over eighteen years. Mr. Waters. And many of my experiences on the road can be found in my other blog, "Ruthie In The Sky."

That is my main blog. I created it on December 16, 2004 and I have maintained it, faithfully, ever since then. If you visit "Ruthie In The Sky" and click on the archives...for...say 2005, or 2007 or 2009...you will find out what it's REALLY like to hitchhike.

Mr. Waters, I am fifty-six years old now and I have already hitchhiked through Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Montana, Utah, Colorado, Texas, Oklahoma, Wyoming, Nebraska, Kansas, Iowa, Minnesota and northern California...this year. Yes, I slogged through knee-deep snow a few months ago, Sir.

And I am not famous. And the media didn't follow me around. And I didn't have a lot of money (in fact, more often than not, I didn't have any money, at all.)

I carried a backpack on my back and walked with a cane.

I didn't have anything to fall back on, most of the time, but God's good graces.

Mr. Waters, I have stood on the side of a highway, with the snow blowing into my face, while the traffic went by and by and by some more. I have sat on a guardrail, under a single mercury vapor light, on a "dead" ramp and watched the traffic roll down the Interstate...all night long. I have sat through a terrible storm, in a crawl space, underneath an overpass. I have been snubbed at churches and ripped-off at homeless shelters. I have met some beautiful people and some bad ones, too.

And I have persevered.


Mr. Waters, I sincerely hope that you enjoy your journey. But I also know that you will never walk in my shoes. No, Sir, you won't. You're not in the same league as I am and, by rights, you never will be.

However, I would like to have a chat with you before you settle down and write your book.

I am off the road, right now, here at the "Clampett Cabins and Redneck Cafe" in John Day, Oregon. Send me an email (ruth.rader at gmail.com) or leave a comment on my blog. I would like to discuss what real hitchhiking is all about.

You might find the conversation to be worth the visit.

Sincerely,
Ruth Rader

No comments: